Interesting facts about Finland and Helsinki! Did You Know?
Land of The Midnight Sun and home of Santa Claus for you? Not only that- Finland and it´s green seaside capital of Helsinki have much more to offer.
Down here we have listed a a few weird and wonderful facts about this great country, that might prepare you for when you join us on Nordic Experience Helsinki Tours.
- They drink more coffee per person than anyone else in the world, (12 kg per year).
- They host a whole bunch of odd competitions, including wife carrying, mobile phone throwing, air guitar and boot throwing.
- There are no payphones here, (it’s the home of Nokia).
- Finland has been ranked number 1 in the world for education. Put your thinking caps on!
- It is the norm to have a sauna in your house… or even 2 or 3 saunas.
- And good old tradition to jump into a lake after you’ve had a sauna, even in the winter.
- In June and July, the sun doesn’t drop below the horizon.
- In the winter, the sun never reaches the horizon.
- Finland has the most heavy metal bands, with 53 per 100 000 people.
- Finland has some interesting and unique wildlife including the gray wolf, wolverine, elk, its national animal the brown bear and national bird the whooper swan.
- The national sport of Finland is called Pesapallo, which is a bit like baseball.
- Every year, Finland increases in surface area by about 7 square kilometers per year because it is rebounding from the weight of ice age glaciers and rising out of the sea.
- There is an old Finnish saying: “If booze, tar, or the sauna won’t help, the illness is fatal.“
- In Finland (and other Nordic countries) they mostly don’t have the restriction of ‘trespassing’. You can roam across and camp on nearly all land, pick berries and mushrooms and catch fish.
- A Finnish doctor helped inspire Lord of the Rings, based on the national myth of The Kalevala.
More tips and travel information here:
Your Helsinki & Finland travel information is available here:
Contact us for more local tips!
Book your private Helsinki tour here:
+372 53 464 060
Private tours in with passion!
Follow Noric Experience on Facebook